Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • 100-Year-Old Man Breaks World Record for ‘Longest Career in the Same Company,’ Shares Life Lesson
    • Fewer Americans are reading for fun, study finds – is screen time displacing books everywhere?
    • ‘Stop killing women’: Australian mother vows to be voice for slain daughter | Crime News
    • Former MVP faces battle to remain in the NBA
    • Contributor: L.A. needs transparency on short-term rentals to crack down on tax evasion
    • Trump’s global tariffs are unlawful, appeals court says
    • Videos: Synchronized Dancing Robots, Dorm Movers, More
    • Top CDC Officials Resign After Director’s Ouster
    Prime US News
    • Home
    • World News
    • Latest News
    • US News
    • Sports
    • Politics
    • Opinions
    • More
      • Tech News
      • Trending News
      • World Economy
    Prime US News
    Home»Latest News»Cyprus recovers at least seven bodies after refugee boat capsizes | Migration News
    Latest News

    Cyprus recovers at least seven bodies after refugee boat capsizes | Migration News

    Team_Prime US NewsBy Team_Prime US NewsMarch 18, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    The border safety company Frontex says irregular crossings into the EU over the Mediterranean rose final 12 months.

    The our bodies of no less than seven individuals have been recovered off Cyprus after authorities mounted a serious search and rescue operation following the capsizing of a ship carrying refugees, Cyprus’s state broadcaster says.

    An unspecified variety of persons are believed to be lacking whereas two individuals had been rescued on Monday from worldwide waters about 30 nautical miles (55.5km) southeast of the island, the broadcaster stated.

    Cyprus’s search and rescue coordination centre stated boats and plane had been deployed as a part of the rescue operation with out mentioning casualties.

    In an official assertion, it stated a search and rescue operation was “ongoing to find lacking individuals after a migrant boat capsized 30 nautical miles (55 kilometres) southeast of Cape Greco”, referring to the southeastern-most level of the Mediterranean island.

    A number of naval helicopters and police patrol boats had been concerned within the seek for survivors, the centre added.

    Based on the Cyprus Information Company, one survivor instructed authorities that on board had been roughly 20 Syrians who had departed from the port of Tartous, the scene of latest bloodshed in Syria.

    The jap Mediterranean island of Cyprus is lower than 200km (125 miles) from the Syrian and Lebanese coasts and has lengthy been a route for refugees in search of a greater life in Europe.

    Based on United Nations figures, 125 refugees died within the jap Mediterranean final 12 months, however the precise determine is more likely to be increased.

    The European Union border safety company, Frontex, stated irregular border crossings into the EU over the jap Mediterranean rose final 12 months regardless of a broader decline within the bloc.

    Nicosia stated it has the very best variety of new asylum seeker purposes within the EU per capita however has managed to considerably cut back the determine.

    Final month, the Ministry of Inside stated asylum purposes dropped 69 per cent from 2022 to 2024 whereas irregular maritime arrivals had stopped since Might attributable to harder authorities insurance policies.

    The overthrow of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in December has prompted some Syrian refugees to return house. The Republic of Cyprus authorities reported that a mean of 40 Syrians per day have requested to return house since then.

    The federal government additionally stated extra asylum seekers had been leaving Cyprus than arriving for the primary time in its unbiased historical past.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleReport emerges about Aaron Rodgers’ decision timeline
    Next Article King Charles’s Vatican visit to go ahead despite pope’s pneumonia
    Team_Prime US News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Latest News

    ‘Stop killing women’: Australian mother vows to be voice for slain daughter | Crime News

    August 30, 2025
    Latest News

    Real Madrid vs Mallorca: La Liga – teams, start, kickoff, lineups | Football News

    August 29, 2025
    Latest News

    Trump seeks to cut $5bn in congressionally approved foreign aid | Donald Trump News

    August 29, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Most Popular

    Beckham to be awarded knighthood by King Charles: Reports

    June 7, 2025

    LSU WR Kyren Lacy dies at 24

    April 14, 2025

    Canada’s PM Carney triggers snap election, vote set for April 28 | Elections News

    March 23, 2025
    Our Picks

    100-Year-Old Man Breaks World Record for ‘Longest Career in the Same Company,’ Shares Life Lesson

    August 30, 2025

    Fewer Americans are reading for fun, study finds – is screen time displacing books everywhere?

    August 30, 2025

    ‘Stop killing women’: Australian mother vows to be voice for slain daughter | Crime News

    August 30, 2025
    Categories
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • US News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Primeusnews.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.