Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Swatch blames shopping centres for ‘problems’ with Royal Pop launch
    • US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News
    • Orioles’ pitching woes continue vs. Rays
    • Long Island Rail Road strike is over, New York Gov. Hochul says
    • A New Framework Guiding Dull Dirty Dangerous Robots
    • US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
    • Brazil call up Neymar to World Cup 2026 squad | Football News
    • Knicks get major OG Anunoby update before Game 1 of ECF
    Prime US News
    • Home
    • World News
    • Latest News
    • US News
    • Sports
    • Politics
    • Opinions
    • More
      • Tech News
      • Trending News
      • World Economy
    Prime US News
    Home»Latest News»Cyprus recovers at least seven bodies after refugee boat capsizes | Migration News
    Latest News

    Cyprus recovers at least seven bodies after refugee boat capsizes | Migration News

    Team_Prime US NewsBy Team_Prime US NewsMarch 18, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    The border safety company Frontex says irregular crossings into the EU over the Mediterranean rose final 12 months.

    The our bodies of no less than seven individuals have been recovered off Cyprus after authorities mounted a serious search and rescue operation following the capsizing of a ship carrying refugees, Cyprus’s state broadcaster says.

    An unspecified variety of persons are believed to be lacking whereas two individuals had been rescued on Monday from worldwide waters about 30 nautical miles (55.5km) southeast of the island, the broadcaster stated.

    Cyprus’s search and rescue coordination centre stated boats and plane had been deployed as a part of the rescue operation with out mentioning casualties.

    In an official assertion, it stated a search and rescue operation was “ongoing to find lacking individuals after a migrant boat capsized 30 nautical miles (55 kilometres) southeast of Cape Greco”, referring to the southeastern-most level of the Mediterranean island.

    A number of naval helicopters and police patrol boats had been concerned within the seek for survivors, the centre added.

    Based on the Cyprus Information Company, one survivor instructed authorities that on board had been roughly 20 Syrians who had departed from the port of Tartous, the scene of latest bloodshed in Syria.

    The jap Mediterranean island of Cyprus is lower than 200km (125 miles) from the Syrian and Lebanese coasts and has lengthy been a route for refugees in search of a greater life in Europe.

    Based on United Nations figures, 125 refugees died within the jap Mediterranean final 12 months, however the precise determine is more likely to be increased.

    The European Union border safety company, Frontex, stated irregular border crossings into the EU over the jap Mediterranean rose final 12 months regardless of a broader decline within the bloc.

    Nicosia stated it has the very best variety of new asylum seeker purposes within the EU per capita however has managed to considerably cut back the determine.

    Final month, the Ministry of Inside stated asylum purposes dropped 69 per cent from 2022 to 2024 whereas irregular maritime arrivals had stopped since Might attributable to harder authorities insurance policies.

    The overthrow of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in December has prompted some Syrian refugees to return house. The Republic of Cyprus authorities reported that a mean of 40 Syrians per day have requested to return house since then.

    The federal government additionally stated extra asylum seekers had been leaving Cyprus than arriving for the primary time in its unbiased historical past.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleReport emerges about Aaron Rodgers’ decision timeline
    Next Article King Charles’s Vatican visit to go ahead despite pope’s pneumonia
    Team_Prime US News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Latest News

    US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News

    May 19, 2026
    Latest News

    Brazil call up Neymar to World Cup 2026 squad | Football News

    May 18, 2026
    Latest News

    Trump delays ‘scheduled attack’ on Iran, crediting ‘serious negotiations’ | US-Israel war on Iran News

    May 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Most Popular

    Turning Off The Lights In New York

    March 17, 2026

    Giants’ Joe Schoen offers initial assessment of QB Shedeur Sanders

    January 29, 2025

    Gustavo Petro: Colombia’s former rebel fighter turned president | Conflict

    January 26, 2026
    Our Picks

    Swatch blames shopping centres for ‘problems’ with Royal Pop launch

    May 19, 2026

    US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News

    May 19, 2026

    Orioles’ pitching woes continue vs. Rays

    May 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • US News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Primeusnews.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.